Founded in 1979, the Washington State Farmers Market Association (WSFMA) is a non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support vibrant and sustainable farmers markets in Washington State through member services, education and advocacy.
The WSFMA represents and serves over 115 farmers markets in 88 cities or towns. These markets generate more than $44 million in annual sales and support hundreds of small and local Washington farmers, food producers and artisans. WSFMA member markets receive hundreds of thousands of visitors per year from across the state, as well as travelers from around the country and across the world.
To support and promote vibrant and sustainable farmers markets in Washington State through member services, education and advocacy.
Strong, resilient farmers markets where vendors are successful and farm sales continue to grow and provide the public with access to fresh, healthy food and the farmers who grow it; where high consumer value is placed on Washington State’s small farms and farmers, and this is reflected in local and state policy.
- Healthy local food systems
- Healthy eaters
- Economically & environmentally sustainable farms
- Independent small business incubation
- Community gathering places, free and open to all
- Provide support & technical assistance to farmers markets in WA state
- Educate the public on benefits of buying fresh & local farm products
- Increase access to fresh and healthy local foods for low-income individuals and families
- Increase knowledge and understanding of farmers marketsʼ role in community development, sustainable local agriculture, tourism, and access to nutritious food
Programs & Partners
- Contract with WA State Department of Health to provide EBT/SNAP education for farmers markets and consumers
- Partner with City of Seattle to promote and support Fresh Bucks EBT matching at markets
- WSDA Specialty Crop Marketing for Washington farmers
- Partner with WSU & UW for research on farmers markets best practices
For a copy of the 2016-17 WSFMA Annual Report, click here.